9 Prayers for When You’re Going Through the Storm
By Debbie McDaniel, iBelieve.com
God never promised us this life would be easy, but He does promise this: He is bigger than any storm we face in this world. And He’s always working for our good, even in the places where we can’t see, even in the circumstances that we don’t fully understand. He is with us, right in the midst of all we walk through.
Our storms might look different in this life, but they all have the opportunity to change us - forever. And God is the Only One who has the power to take what seems tragic and devastating to turn it around for good. It may not happen as quickly as we’d like, it may feel like a struggle; we might find ourselves longing for another way, but blessing will come from it. For it’s the way God works. The “good” will shine through.
In some of the most difficult times in life, I’ve learned the power of praying God’s words back to him. It alone holds the ability to soothe our souls, to refresh our spirits, and cause hope to rise above the pain we might be feeling. And though our circumstances may not be immediately changed, though our hearts may still be hurting, we’re reminded through His Truth to set our eyes on Him. And that’s the best place for them to be – in all of life.
Be assured today, He knows your way, He sees your pain, He hasn’t forgotten you, and He’s still at work, even through the most difficult of times.
- You remind us over and over in your Word that you are always with us. You tell us not to fear and you draw us close into your Presence. You’re the only place we find refuge in the storms that surround us right now Lord. You’re the only place we can find peace and strength. So we ask you for your words of truth and power to strengthen us in our inner being and life our hearts to you. Thank you for your goodness, thank you that you know the way we take and you have a plan. We look to you today our Lord and Savior, it’s your face we seek.
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear…” Psalm 46:1-2
- Thank you Lord for your Word that says you give us the power to come out of this trial “as gold.” Thank you that this storm will not last forever, but we’re only passing through. Thank you that nothing has taken you by surprise. You know our journey better than we know it ourselves, and you will use this time of testing for good.
"But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold." Job 23:10
- Thank you Lord that you are victorious over every trouble and obstacle. Thank you that you have overcome sin, and death, and any evil that we may face today. And because of you, we too are overcomers. We too can have victory, and we can walk strong in your peace.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
- Thank you Lord that you are our Redeemer and will not waste our pain. Thank you that we can be assured all things, not some things but all, will work together for good, for those who love you and are called according to your purpose.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
- Thank you Lord that You are producing in us great endurance through the hard places. You are building spiritual muscle. We press in close to your Presence today, and no matter what obstacles we’re facing, we choose joy.
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” James 1:2-3
- Lord, thank you that our comfort abounds through Christ. Nothing in the world can bring us the comfort and peace that you alone can offer. Thank you that you understand our trials, and you care. Through our own struggle and pain, help us to be your vessels to offer comfort and strength to others who are hurting.
“…Who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.” 2 Corinthians 1:4-5
- Thank you Lord that through every weakness and hard place, your strength is displayed in our lives. We can’t do it on our own. But you can, through us. Your power is Mighty within us, you are our Helper and our Strength. All things are possible through you.
“But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
- Lord thank you that through this trial you are using our lives and circumstances to make a mark on this world. Draw us close to yourself. May many know of your Great Name. May they hear of your works and miracles of your faithfulness. We choose again today to fix our eyes, not on all the troubles that surround, but on you alone.
"Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
- We praise you God, for you go before us and cover us from behind. You walk beside us and make our footsteps firm. You are our Protector and Defense. We never have to fear that we’re alone, thank you for your powerful Presence surrounding us. We renew our focus on You this day, and thank you advance for all that you will do.
“…for the LORD will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard.” Isaiah 52:12
We love you, we need you, we choose to look to you today, and every day…
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead's Facebook page, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives.